• Voltron

There's a good chance they currently have the Dairuger XV/Vehicle Voltron license should they choose to use it. They picked up the Voltron License when Mattel's license ended. We know Mattel technically had the VV license as that's what blocked Miracle Metals from getting one after they finally completed their overly delayed design work. By the time they were ready to proceed Mattel had come along and purchased the licensing.

faelon   5 weeks 7 hours ago
  • Voltron

I'm hoping that Bandai would be able to secure the rights to make an SoC Vehicle Voltron. I think that Voltron needs more appreciation since I always liked the Matchbox version as a kid and would love to see a modern representation of it.

makaikishi   5 weeks 1 day ago
  • Voltron

As near as I can tell the reason why the different lions have different connection types is an absurd level of detail attention, in the show the two right-side lions (red and blue) have circular holes at their shoulder joints, while the two left side lions (green and yellow) have slots. The difference is reflected here correctly for I think the first time ever, I'd certainly never noticed it before. It also means you can attach the weapons to the lions without memorizing or referencing which ones go to which, as they will only mount on the lion they belong to, which is a nice touch for play.

zedmartinez   5 weeks 3 days ago
  • NYTF2017: NECA

I hope those universal figure stands work with The Black Series from Star Wars

JoshB   5 weeks 3 days ago
  • Voltron

Great review!

I only have two gripges, the shoulder tabs & black lion's tail. The shoulder tabs don't lock in as tightly as I'd like, at least on mine. And I wish they'd implemented a way to either hide black lion's tail or fold it out of the way ala KoB. But at least it's easy to remove, which frees up waist articulation. With the removable heads, everyone's excited because this is the first Voltron toy that can do the complete lion head attack. The classic could only fire the heads off the arms, which is the same route KoB took. With the weapons, it's animation-accurate. In the case of red-lion, they did separate pieces of plastic so the weapons won't cause chrome wear.

And on the lion legs, another review made a good point. Though hiding the legs would be animation-accurate and feasible, it may be that they didn't do away with them for a better design in the first place, but rather to streamline the model so the animators would have an easier time drawing the combined form. Either way works for me though.

This toy is fantastic, and easily the best Voltron toy ever made. They got all the proportions and articulation right. He's not a gymnast, but he can do everything I'd expect and have seen Voltron do. Now, it's time for the waiting game with the Megazord, and any news on whether they'll tackle the vehicle force in the near future.

Optimal III   5 weeks 3 days ago
  • Voltron

I bought the bootleg version released a couple of years ago, that got a great review over the toynami re release at same time...anyone remeber that version link?
    Nevertheless, wonderful review and the movement of pictures for combining created great sense of how to combine it.
    Bravo!

AJProDie-Cast   5 weeks 3 days ago
  • Voltron

Nice review. You might want to play with your black lion/Voltron head a little more. When it's fully transformed the base of the neck should sit flush with the shoulders. It should not look like the neck is going down into a hole. Once you get it extended up you find you also have much more head articulation as he has a bit more look up/look down movement.

Arm articulation isn't that bad. It looks like you discovered the red and green lion waist expansion joints. You can get quite a bit more cross chest range by unlocking those shoulder tabs. They don't just prevent the shoulders from rotating. They also lock in the shoulders forward pivot. Unlocking them lets the shoulders flex forward, much like the Toynami Masterpiece. Just be warned, if you will be playing with the shoulders unlocked, take the red and green lions tails off. They can get pinched by the shoulder flex and come off inside.

faelon   5 weeks 4 days ago
  • Voltron

I'm pretty much of the same mind. Whatever its (very minor) flaws, this is the best Voltron there's ever been.

I took a look at mine for my new YouTube review series, Silent InvenTOYry.

Fringe Benefits   5 weeks 4 days ago
  • NYTF2017: Tomy

Sonic boom whyyyyyyyy?!!!?!?!??!1?!!?!!!

quinncat   5 weeks 4 days ago
  • The Punisher

Ender1000, I always really enjoy your marvel legends reviews and especially your pictures!

quinncat   6 weeks 2 hours ago
  • Blurr

I don't have many g1 figures really but I do have blurr, double cross, and kup so I will definitely be getting those two! And yeah, I totally agree, Titans Return is great!

quinncat   6 weeks 2 hours ago
  • Highbrow

That being said, I'm sorry it bothers you so much that you felt compelled to make an account just to say that! Maybe I'll work on it in the future if there are more people on the site who feel that way!

quinncat   6 weeks 2 hours ago
  • Highbrow

Thanks for the input, but I don't know, I've been a little conflicted on what background my pictures should have. I decided on this desk because, I feel that it keeps them dynamic and engaging. So many pictures on this site stick with a white back drop, and while that has it's place, my pictures like that never really satisfied me. I like my pictures better now due to their (what I think is) dynamic and involved nature. I just feel like the desk shows what I'm doing, gives you insight into what my photo area or whatever is like, and helps them stand out among other reviewers' images.
    Kind of like optimal III's pictures!

quinncat   6 weeks 2 hours ago
  • Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The waist isn't terrible, but the ridge in conjunction with black lion's tail is a significant hindrance. KoB & SOC did it best, and in different ways to boot.

Optimal III   6 weeks 3 hours ago
  • Sadly the ball jointed hips are what I categorize as a critical flaw at the MSRP price point. No way an 18" plastic robot will last the years with 5" plastic action figure type hips.

faelon   6 weeks 5 hours ago
  • I could only think of 3 design flaws in the EX:
    1. The somewhat hindered neck rotation (the head would have to be oriented slightly upwards for side movements)
    2. The hindered waist swivel (due to the waist 'collar')
    3. The ball-jointed hip joints

other than that, Toynami did great with this iteration of Voltron... i personally feel that the KoB looks a bit uninspired, especially with the SoC out and available now. Somehow i get the feeling the KoB will lose out more than the EX because of how closely the SoC and KoB molds are in term of scale and looks (the KoB is not exactly a radical design departure from the SoC/Classic look, not as different as the EX in my opinion)

evanrue   6 weeks 20 hours ago
  • Legacy Megazord

Oh boy it's that time again huh

SpaceRunaway   6 weeks 20 hours ago
  • Yeah, the black KoB is too devoid of color. Toynami got it just right. (and you're probably in the clear, unless she starts dropping phrases like "no dental, no prints, no problem"; if that happens, she might be planning).

Optimal III   6 weeks 20 hours ago
  • Give Toynami credit. They did amuch better job in designing the "Stealth" paint scheme than the KOB folks. I love how they nicely used the Lions primary colors as the trim colors. Sadly the Ex is too big for my display space and way too big for my wallet. Especially for apure plastic toy. And $1100? Gah! At that point I might as well just hand it to a divorce lawyer. ( ah who am I kidding. My wife would never divorce me. She'd simply kill me and hire a few rednecks to dispose of the body. Should I be worried that she knows rednecks willing to dispose of a body in exchange for first dibs on the robot collection?)

faelon   6 weeks 23 hours ago
  • Highbrow

Clean your desk dude, the pictures look cluttered,

GalvatronG1   6 weeks 1 day ago
  • It's a wallet buster for sure. Almost my most expensive piece too.

At best, the all-plastic one you reference though is meh, so don't feel bad about missing it. It was cool at first, but the thrill quickly wore off for me.

Optimal III   6 weeks 1 day ago
  • $1100??? I don't think I could spend that on ANY toy. You have my respect. I still kind of regret passing up that all plastic Voltron set Toynami released a few years ago when it was on sale for 50 bucsk.

Heavyarms   6 weeks 1 day ago
  • Legacy Megazord

As the Transformers Titanium Series proved, metal parts do not magically improve a toy's quality. The Triceratops tail is metal? Whoop-de-smegging-doo, that doesn't actually improve anything. What would have improved things is retooling the tail so that the cannons were a separate piece like on the original toy so that they could be aimed. All a die-cast tail does is make it harder to kitbash that functionality in.

"The tank mode looks like it jumped straight out of the television and onto the park bench where I took these photos."
    No, no it doesn't, because you transformed it wrong. The shoulder armor is supposed to be open like it is for the battle mode.

ZeldaTheSwordsman   6 weeks 1 day ago
  • As I said in my old comment the DaiTenku seems to be a mix of a Pheonix/Ho'oh (based on the head and the long tail) and a heavy bomber like the B-29 or B-52 (hence the bulk and the tiger-head-as-bomb-chute)..

That said, it still kinda feels like a Tsubasamaru/Falconzord wannabe.

ZeldaTheSwordsman   6 weeks 1 day ago
  • Or did the beetle horn shapes ruin that effect for you?

ZeldaTheSwordsman   6 weeks 1 day ago