• Getter Liger

Yep, I have both, maybe no one actually tried it, they do look almost exactly the same.

Tekn0hazrd   10 years 42 weeks ago
  • Hey guys this is my first post here. I did a search for Mr. Bigs Toystore. One reason is as described the memories it brought. I grew up seeing the commercial on TV during force 5 and other shows. The other thing is this was the "Magical" Toystore that till it was gone I really did not realize what type of place it was. First off let me say this if anyone still is reading this has info or knows anything about Mr. Big I ask you to email me Evost7@aol.com. Would love to make a tribute page to this store. As it had a national reputation.
    Like I said I live in Waltham. I rode my bike past this store when I was a teen. I would go in for my Voltron, Transformers, Robotech, Starblazers, G.I.Joe toys. Many times to window shop. As the prices were a few dollars more than the regular outlets. But did carry stuff you never could find. Star Wars stuff also. I remember the store set up. It was like a 5 and dime type of store where it was dusty and kept as a minimal operating level. The toys were displayed in glass cases and alot of carded figures were on pegboards. The toys ranged in there from the 50-60 and many items look like they were on the shelf from that era. the price tage were square orange ones. Many things were there that I wish I could write here and say but I get lost in the nostalgia. I remeber the set up of the store. The window case in the front was a big display of I think playschool action sets. The owners. The man Aurther Sandberg and his wife. This asian guy and one other person. If you were alone you would be followed around to close. But if with parents they would tell you the world about anything they had. Eventually they did get to know me and my purchasing habits. They were kind and had many things not sold anywhere. Still have daydreams about the store. Such a wonderful place. It is now a furnature store.I do know they moved to Fla and retired and not sure if they are still alive butthey sold the store to some people that did not run it like they ran it. This was soon after it closed. Really sad. and this basement room?? never been there?? what was in it??
    There is hope another store in Waltham carries on a great tradition like Mr. Bigs. The Outer Limits in Waltham a few stores up is a great place and in a small way you get the same feel walking in there.
    Like I said would love to talk to people about Mr. Bigs and see if we could get something together to pay homage to the place. Again would love to hear from you guys about this Evost7@aol.com

Z28 Autobot   10 years 42 weeks ago
  • Grendizer

I too purchased this awesome Super Robot to complete my "solid diecast collection" of Go Nagai's Mazinger family. However, I feel that for the money it is selling for, Marmit would put a little more attention to detail in the finished product. For example, my Dai Gokin Grendizer has a couple of spots of "purple" paint on the inner thighs and the "crotch" area. Also, the black paint where the horns meet the head is chipping off. But the thing that really dissapointed me was the 1/2 inch scratch it came with (front - left shoulder). I thought it would be a lot better finished than it's predecesors, Great Mazinger and Mazinger Z, but the quality is actually not even close.

I was also hoping it would be taller...

}D

The Mazinger Z   10 years 42 weeks ago
  • Getter Liger

Are you sure about that? Do you have both? I don't have the ZZ-6 (couldn't care less about the accessories), but every collector I've spoken to in the past said it was the same thing.

Nekrodave   10 years 42 weeks ago
  • Getter Liger

I don't think the Liger missiles are compatible with the ZZ-6 they look similar but the ZZ-6 missiles are bigger.

Tekn0hazrd   10 years 42 weeks ago
  • Well, I just asked my almost 8 year old nephew about this. He watches the show and knows the characters. I asked him if he'd be interested in figures of the females from Avatar and he said basically "It doesn't matter. As long they have cool powers!"

Nekrodave   10 years 43 weeks ago
  • NYTF07: Toynami

The Masterpiece Cyclone looks like a must-buy for me. I always wanted one when I was a kid but passed on it because the Matchbox version was non-transformable. About how tall is it in armor mode? Does anyone know?

iron maniac   10 years 43 weeks ago
  • NYTF07: Toynami

When we passed along a message from a fellow collector that “He would buy two at $200”, George said that would most likely be around that price point.

As for size, it is almost twice as tall as an Alpha.

Atom (not verified)   10 years 43 weeks ago
  • NYTF07: Toynami

Wow! That blue-&-white Beta Fighter looks awesome! How tall is it in robot mode? If that Alpha Fighter is $100 (I don't like that purple-on-black livery, BTW), dare I wonder what the Beta Fighter will cost...? If it's just over $100, I think I'd go for it. (I need something to rival my blocky $110 DX DaiVoayger, hee hee hee...)

• Hey these Star Wars TFs are starting to look like Transformers!

Rob Braun   10 years 43 weeks ago
  • Well the same thing happens with other lines.

With Transformers Energon Hasbro gave us the first Open face Prime since Primal and then they shifted gears half way through and gave us a closed face Prime like the Japanese version, but thats just a head on an already scale mold. And then Cybertron we got the 'giant' Starscream who had just as much (if that) detail as its much smaller, sharper form. And like this Megazord, The gigantic version only loses some of the detail and can't get out of its own way.

I think Bandai has no choice but to just do what they can with what they've done concerning the Megazord. they made the mold, now they've got no choice but to use it, scrapping it now would only hurt them. a Recall won't work because of the ones already sold, and the whole process of changing out for the imported version would only set the series' launch back. For what we know they made the US version more kid friendly but not collector friendly. Yeah the size makes it more appealing, but it loses the detail value seen with smaller molds. During the Mystic Force line they skipped out on the Wolf Knight Megazord and instead gave us the Megazord that only got a limited release in Japan, it makes for some nice US-Exclusive, but the Completists have to import. I think Operation Overdrive is one of those times where Bandai america wants to distinguish itself from Bandai Japan by having its own molds to run with. The whole scale up idea works with Jumbos but it hurts (See Starscream).
    Now the whole figure thing has always been out of hand. I don't ever remember seeing any 'evil Ranger' toys with more than three to five points of articulation compared to all the ranger figures with more than the standard full body articulation. Now with sculpters taking a more comic book aesthetic approach, Rangers are getting rippled abs, busting biceps, and overly defined crotches. With the increase in quality, Bandai's got no choice but to rely on remolding the same bodies for every figure. Jakks Pacific has gotten by with the same process with their WWE figures even when they don't match up. Best example I know is Tazz (former ECW heavyweight, shaped like a bowling ball in real life) is molded on the exact same body used to make Vince McMahon (tall, heavy chested, broad shoulders).

Btw, Eva. You REALLY know your Sentai toys.

Bandai's been on thin Ice with me since the whole Gundam disaster (I think its safe to call it that). It hurt me, I mean hiking prices of the kits for box size, 80$ for the GP-02 locally compared to 45$ with shipping via importer. The change from 'domestic striping' to the ugly box jobs on some of the SEED kits, and need I say anything about the whole Battle Damaged MSIA line that ended it.

Rob Braun   10 years 43 weeks ago
  • Hmm... I can easily believe that it is too late to change the toys as they are- production is already in full swing by now, and I suppose to re-tool in order to give us the modified versions of the original Gougou Vehicles from "Gougou Sentai Boukenger" (2006) would put them way behind in releases, not to mention be way too expensive to implement at this late stage. I think that they should hurry and create a line for modified Gougou Vehicles, but then call them "Special Edition" or something. Remember when the DX Gingaioh was released as a special-edition version of the Deluxe Galaxy Megazord years ago as a store exclusive? They could do the same thing here!
    As we can see here, Gougou Drill, Gougou Shovel, Gougou Mixer, and Gougou Crane have already been reinvented (as we can see here, already with heavy loss of function each) to work with the Deluxe DMM as seen by that second image above. Why are they releasing it as a separate set? Why not treat the four vehicles as an accessory set which can be added on to the DMM!? That would certainly make more sense and be cheaper than including a black-and-silver Dump Driver Zord repaint!

At this rate, I'm sure they won't remake the motorized DX DaiVoyager because of size and compatibillity issues, though they may still release a remake of the DX Siren Builder. here's my question: will Gougou Jet be remade to fit the DMM? And if so, will it be able to form the DaiTanken equivalent? (I'm guessing no to the latter...)
    I'm glad to hear that they have been meeting about this rather than just letting it fizzle out; I doubt that will happen any time soon!
    Josh, did they tell you why they did this to the Deluxe megazords this year instead of modifying them like they always have before?
    Ugh- Another repaint of the same old, boring semi-trailer truck playset that will never appear in the show!? They've used that same design for four years in a row- starting in 2003 with "Power Rangers Ninja Storm"! And the only time it appeared in the show was in the last two episodes of "Power Rangers Dino Thunder"!
    That Mega Mission Helmet sounds interesting- kinda like their responce to the tiny DX Bouken Driver interactive game set that works with your TV in Japan. May not fit my cranium, but I'd like to know a little more about it.
    I think there's a very good reason that there's a difference in the choices of the two markets, mecha VS. figures- BA doesn't give us a choice in what we get!
    While I like that BA is acknowledging long-time fans and collectors with the 15 Red Rangers, couldn't they at least customize each one's mold instead of just changing paint apps? It's very obvious, but seeing as I won't be getting them, I suppose I have little room to comment let alone complain, huh?

• Easy solution then...release Jumbo Megazords in Japan! Hell, I'll pay the shipping if I have to, if it means I'll get some more jumbo ROBOTS. And who knows? Maybe they would even be received better in Japan than they were here.

Nekrodave   10 years 43 weeks ago
  • Gunbuster

I know, I noticed it after i shot the whole thing that the thrusters were wrong and I didnt have the little fins on the shoulders spread out... sigh... what can you do?

• Gunbuster

This toy is my single most expensive purchase and I love it. I was able to pre-order very early and get a decent discount, but having played with it I can definitely say that its worth every penny and I would have paid full price.

It truly shows us the best of what the designers at Bandai are capable of. Some people may complain that its not perfect transformation, but who cares. Id much rather have a few removable parts, that results in a better looking final product.

And speaking of removable panels, the top panel on BM#2 is also removable, to cut down on the back kibble a little bit, and Josh, spin those thrusters around on Gunbusters back, (so the yellow band faces up), you've got em upside down. :P

Anavel   10 years 44 weeks ago
  • Gunbuster

Totally agree about the bottom panel on the Buster Machine 1. That thing drove me nuts when I was trying to put it on. Also, I had some trouble getting the fists stored in the back of the tower. There wasn't enough room to get my fingers in there as I was holding them. Some of the parts of the tower tended to pop off as I fiddled with it as well. Having said that, I love the display base. This is the first SOC I display in vehicle mode.

I didn't think I'd like this one, but it ended up getting my vote for toy of the year. A few minor flaws, but it just has too much else going for it.

Nekrodave   10 years 44 weeks ago
  • Iron Hammer

True to my word, first chance I got, I got me an Iron Hammer. This thing is truely awesome for the price...! The limited ball-&-socket joints in the hips and ankles weren't as bad as I thought they were at first. They're limited swinging outwards, but work good enough forward-&-backwards.
    In fact, my biggest complaints would be how tricky it was to put those vent decals on the 'calves' of the lower legs. The shoulder joints, especially on the grabing and missile-launcher arms, are really difficult to snap on and off! Sheesh!
    (I also left Snake Eyes in the box. Hee hee hee...)
    What surprised me most was how much smaller the "Sigma 6" figures are compared to the earlier American counterparts. That probably allowed for the more versatile sets. I recal how it was just blocky vehicles with pop-out weapons and simple single-round missile launchers originally, but now we have fully interactive vehicles like the Iron Hammer where you can swap the different weapons.
    Next step: the Dragonhawk!

• Golion

Funny story about the Matchbox version of this. My friend had one and just like you, we noticed that the fists looked like they were supposed to shoot out. My friend agreed and thought the fists might be "stuck". So I suggested we take a flat-head screwdriver and attempt to pop them off. With a little more pressure than we expected the fists indeed popped out after breaking them off their plastic posts inside(ouch). The only problem was, since they were not spring loaded there was nothing to hold the fists in now, so they fell out all the time. doh!

Hey, what do you want, I was only 10 years old at the time!

iron maniac   10 years 45 weeks ago
  • Well I lucked out I did get to go once just after we moved out here. I had seen all the comercials during the showings of Robotech on tv. It was my birthday so Mr. Big end up giving my parents a good deal on two Valkyries. Aparently he closed the store only a few months after we where in there.

Atom (not verified)   10 years 46 weeks ago
  • Iron Hammer

Nice-! You're right- it is like a scaled-down Destroid from "Macross", or a light-class [20-35 ton] BattleMech from the BattleTech RPG/video game saga.
    I like the various spring-loaded features- in particular how different they are from each other. (I just love toy rapid-fire missile launchers!) I don't think it'll bother me too much if the knees don't pose, so long as the hips and ankles can sufficiently snap to different angles.
    The "Sigma 6" Dragonhawk V-TOL aircraft reviewed earlier on CDX was jaw-dropping, but this is awesome too! And I like how the aircraft can carry and drop the Iron Hammer right into the battlefield, as opposed to just strapping a pair of "rocket" or turbofan engines to the back of it.
    And all this for $9.99!? I am so gonna get one my next trip to a TRU, and it'll fit into the little spot left on my shelves too!
    Didn't make 'em like this when I was a kid, either... (Am I old enough to start saying that now???)

• Zartan

Sadly, no solar powered color change either. :)

Atom (not verified)   10 years 46 weeks ago
  • Zartan

He doesn't change color in sunlight either?? Or did I miss that part?

iron maniac   10 years 46 weeks ago
  • Kittyfire (Orange)

In addition to the official releases listed above, Paul Kaiju did 5 more custom paint schemes. Iirc, they were unveiled at the S7 store and sold on the website. A Google Image search for "Paul Kaiju" will bring up pictures of them. The skull faced one is best!

Nekrodave   10 years 46 weeks ago
  • Zartan

The accesories where a wee bit underwhelming for an ADULT collector, I am sure the younger fans will like them just fine. The figure itself still looks rather sharp. As far as not including the original accesories, Sigma 6 is a new incarnation of the G.I. Joe line and in it Zartan does not have the same function and skillset that he had in his first apperance of the series.

Atom (not verified)   10 years 46 weeks ago
  • Not only have i preordered one, but I preordered 2 more as surprise gifts for fellow toy zealots.

GP_Rice_Burner   10 years 46 weeks ago