• Garada K7

I also butchered the back of it's head to get the sickles at a more vintage-style angle. I wish the glow paint went on smoother/more uniformly and that I was better at painting and photographing it. I'm no Sanjeev, but here goes...

Nekrodave   12 years 45 weeks ago
  • MSN-04 Sazabi

I wouldn't mind. In fact, I can add this to my JP toys collection!

CIVIL WAR

I'm with GaoGaiGar

YuushaFan   12 years 45 weeks ago
  • Garada K7

Who was it that did a custom glow version of this? Was it you Dave?

• Garada K7

Thanks for the comprehensive review on these, Dave! I'd never really given any notice to the black Unifive Garada before...kinda snazzy. Honestly though, after reading this, all it really makes me want to do is pick up one of Tom's replicas. There's just so much MORE soul in the original sculpt than Unifive's pudgy offering...

Sanjeev

Sanjeev   12 years 45 weeks ago
  • You do the best video reviews I've ever seen. I've watched them all. You need to do them far more often. You just have an excellent presentation style.

-Ray

pocketmego   12 years 45 weeks ago
  • Oh yeah, the little redheaded guerilla chick's name is Kiki. No wonder I couldn't remember it.

Destroy All Pod...   12 years 45 weeks ago
  • SDF-1 Battle Fortress

Boy do you stir up great memories. My Dad bought me that very toy as an eight grade graduation gift. I LOVED it.

As always Sanjeev not only an informative article a highly entertaining one. Glad to hear my last review inspired you.

Atom (not verified)   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • Danguard Ace

In looking through some old pictures recently, I came across this one of an alternate sticker sheet for this toy. Note also the white-vaned missiles that came with this version.

Nekrodave   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • Mini and Maxi Robots

I recently got this Maxi Robot in the mail. It's the same color as the blue Mini Robot, but has the Maxi Robot sticker as well as the arms slightly more outstretched. Note also that the stickers on the chest are on the opposite way. A minor variation, but I figured I might as well record it.

Nekrodave   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • Space Robot

I've seen the Easter basket with this toy at Big Lots--at least five at the one in State College, PA. It might vary from state to state, but Big Lots/Odd Lots is a good bet.

atom smasher   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • Space Robot

Cool piece and an awesome review. I've spent some time looking around for one of these for myself down here in FL but no dice. oh well, Any chance of getting a shot of this guy along side last years gundam and the clover junior? Looking at this piece it looks like the majority of the design was taken off the original RX-78, with the shoulders and lower legs coming from the GP01 from 0083, though overall they did tweek the design a bit here and there, still an interesting piece.

"I had a choice, buy a new car or buy a Jumbo Machinder Green Ghost C3...it really wasn't a hard choice to make."

Jerilock   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • SDF-1 Battle Fortress

*THIS* is was the Comment section is ALL about!! Thanks, Ginrai. Yousa rock star!

Review updated...

Sanjeev

Sanjeev   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • SDF-1 Battle Fortress

The Macross toy is super awesome and I am totally jealous of you guys for having it. I really wish I did.

Matsushiro released a gray market SDF-1 similar to their gray market release of the Hikaru VF-1J, but Matt Alt told me it apparently came out in Japan or (or maybe Asia in general) and not the UK like the VF-1J. This was actually the smaller (ST?) SDF-1, though, not the one you reviewed here.

The Matchbox release IS the Bandai release of the SDF-1. This is similar to the other Takatoku toys that came out in the Robotech label in America, like the SD Joke Machine Valkyries. Bandai manufactured them for Matchbox and Matchbox sold them, similar to the Voltron arrangement. Obviously Matchbox also had their own original Robotech toys, but a decent portion of the line was imports from the original TT Macross toy line.

According to Matt again, Bandai did not just buy the molds to Takatoku's stuff, they basically acquired the entire TT staff that was working on Macross, so it was the same people working on the later DYRL toys and presumably the modified versions of the Macross TV toys we got in America under the Robotech name.

Matsushiro was the company that did the physical molding and casting of the toys that TT designed. While it's not certain, it seems that Matsushiro kept going after TT's collapse, so it's a fair bet that they were still working with Bandai on the Robotech releases.

Considering the variation in copyrights on Jetfires (at least two different Matsushiro copyrights and IIRC at least four Bandai copyrights), I think if you were to buy up a bunch of Robotech SDF-1 toys, you would likely find that they had a bunch of different copyrights. Maybe there are some that say Matsushiro (I've never seen or heard of it), but if there are, the majority are still going to say Bandai.

I don't believe there was ever a Bandai release of the SDF-1 Macross toy in Japan. When Bandai took over everything the movie was out, and the SDF-1 didn't look like that anymore in the movie, so no tie in there!

Oh, and the TT version of the SDF-1 launches both Valkyries and a QF-3000E Ghost, an unmanned fighter seen briefly in the first episode of Macross (and probably a couple of other places) that was the predecessor of the Ghost X-9 from Macross Plus.

P.S. The SDF-1 was designed by Miyatake, not Kawamori.

Ginrai   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • Great Mazinger

This is the only Jumbo I own, and I absolutely love it. I almost bought a Mattel Mazinga, but I saw this for sale at local comic shop and did not hesitate for long before dropping the $100 it cost. For people who do not have Jumbos, the box it comes in is like a small child's coffin. Jesus Christ is this thing huge. It dominates my room and it is just standing up on my bookshelf. Right next to Jumbo Mazinger is Unicron, looking like he has a serious Napoleon complex.

Ginrai   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • SDF-1 Battle Fortress

Yup--after looking at the pics gatchaman posted on robot-japan, the super carriers do have spring-loaded Valkyrie launchers. Man, those woulda rocked! Still...perhaps not worth paying the premium for an original TT. I also noticed the buttons for launching missiles from the Main Gun tips in gatchaman's pics: they're molded in yellow on either side of the white, forward section of each pylon. Oh, and good call about forgetting to flip the shoulders in Cruiser mode! Our readers will just have to live with my botched photography! ;)

Sanjeev

Sanjeev   12 years 46 weeks ago
  • SDF-1 Battle Fortress

Aagh-! Someone beat me too it! Well, at least now I know where the hell my Macross came from. I got a secondhand one over a decade ago, and it had no decals on it whatsoever. I, too, suspected that it had at one time had missile launchers in it, but all I ever got was just the ship and no accessories so I had no other proof. And mine had all the PVC antennae torn off before I got it. Well, at least the head was still painted!
    I'm pretty sute, though, that the two supercarriers were modified, as I recal seeing a Japanese version with spring catapults for miniature Valkyries (aka Veritechs) on the Prometheus. Oh, BTW, the triggers for the launchers on the prow booms are located on either side, molded in blue. However, they are immobile since its redesign. Same with theimmobile 'twisting' turrets at the knees.
    One thing I could never figure out is the die-cast metal joint in the middle of the torso. It provides a rotation point for the legs at the hips, and allows the center torso to twist around for transfomration to Attacker Mode. But what I couldn't figure out is why the chest could be split open to increase the arc of the main cannon! The vents between the center torso and those large thrusters are there on all models and the series, but they usually don't appear unless you twist the two halves of the chest backwards.
    Oh, something you did wrong when you took photos of it, Sanjeev... Regardless of how those very-Americanized decals are applied, the shoulder armor should be slanting away from the front in a more "streamlined" fashion in Cruiser Mode; the opposite of how you have them shown. (You see those tiny immobile turrets on the shoulders? They're supposed to face forwards in Cruiser Mode, and the four larger poesable cannons twisted over them.)
    Oh, BTW, would it have been more practical to employ die-cast metal/ABS landing gear, or the concrete blocks the Macross was rebuilt on before the series began...? ^_^
    Is this, like, the only real transfomrable toy ever made of the Macross since the series began some 30 years ago!?

• Looks great, and just in time for the barrage of Megatron toys hitting shelves. I'm really excited about MP-05, but his face/head still bothers me. You guys nailed it though!

"Dinobots, destroy Devestator!"-Optimus Prime TFTM

Goldenage   12 years 47 weeks ago
  • Sachiel (3rd Angel)

Maybe it would have been better if the suit wasn't all one piece and there was a space at the shoulders to allow for better poseability. Other than that I'm not sure how you could do it better as a toy. I don't think I'd like it if it were made entirely out of plastic. I think the rubber suit is a good idea and I don't really blame Bandai for how this one came out. If anything, it's a nice try at reproducing a weird character design. Making this look good AND be functional would be a tall order, imo. (Keep in mind, I am by no means an expert on this series, this character or model kits, so someone smarter than I might have a much better idea!)

I also have the Eva-05 LM-HG, but it doesn't have any rubber parts (besides the head). There is no articulation at the elbows on that one, which I find weird. And it can be a bit awkward when the rather large wings are on it. But otherwise, it poses fine. I've also got a little white glow paint on the wings of that, as well as red glow on the lips. I might paint the lance glow blue at some point.

Nekrodave   12 years 47 weeks ago
  • Voltron

How much do you want for the 1997 VOLTRON release action figure.

Eric Gavino   12 years 47 weeks ago
  • Sachiel (3rd Angel)

So in your opinion, Nekrodave, would the 3rd Angel- Sachiel have been more successful as a poesable model if it had used a complete exo-skeleton design (no internal frame/rubber skin) like any other robot figure, or could this have been designed better with what it is now? Did/can Sachiel only be made this way as an LM-HG, or could something different have been done for it?
    Also, do you have any of the LM-HG series EVAs? They, too have a limited rubber skin on the elbows. Do they also resist posing like Sachiel's here does?
    BTW, nice idea with the glowing paint! You're right- it does look more organic that way. I'll have to think about that when I [finally] put mine together.

• AV-X0 Type Zero

The first two Patlabor movies are pretty phenomenal. Not a much giant robot action as you'd get in a Gundam flick, but great plots and characters.

I was AMAZINGLY disappointed in Patlabor III. Seriously I think the Patlabors had about 5 minutes of screen time at the very end.

Shadow27   12 years 48 weeks ago
  • Zeus

So...these are like US bootlegs!?

MY MIND!!

Sanjeev

Sanjeev   12 years 48 weeks ago
  • Dairugger XV

I'll try to take some new shots, but essentially you take the blue and red caps off and they just plug into the bottom of the black waist unit. Just be careful as to not loose the caps!

Josh

• Dairugger XV

Nice Pickup! I really like that! It's really too bad one like this wasn't available in the states back in Voltrons heyday. You either had to settle for the $75 Matchbox version or the LJN rubber "assembler" if you wanted a vehicle Voltron that actually combined(I had both). I didn't see any pics of the 2 small submarines(Space Probers) detached from the robot, do you have any? I'm curious to see how they connected to the bottom half of the legs.

iron maniac   12 years 49 weeks ago